12 Holistic Wellness Tips for Women Over 50 – Part II of the Interview with Dani Segal, PhD
If we want to live our best life after 50 and kick some butt on the goals we have for the new year, we need to feel good!
I personally prefer to give natural and holistic methods and products a try as a first choice whenever possible, so asking Dani Segal, PhD, Certified Holistic Nutrition Educator/Counselor, for her tips was a natural too!
Here is Part II of my interview with Dr. Dani about her holistic wellness tips for women over 50.
If you missed Part 1 of the interview full of great tips and wellness info, here is the link: Women’s Health Over 50: A Holistic Approach.
Top Dietary, Nutraceutical and Lifestyle Tips for Women Over 50 from Dr. Dani:
1) Choose a health partner or team. I recommend partnering with a Holistic Nutritionist that you trust and can work well with. Choose a team member who listens carefully to your story and your health needs and is comfortable being an inspiration as you head towards your health goals.
2) Optimize nutrition – I cannot stress enough how important it is to do a “Health Tune-Up” by testing for nutritional deficiencies (through Inner-Cell blood work), and test for MTHFR Gene mutation. This way you can truly KNOW if you need more calcium, Vitamin D or K for strong bones, or more Glutamine for better digestion, or what nutrients may be missing for your best brain support, or ANY need you may have.
3) I highly recommend a GI Map test, which would check for any parasites, bowel challenges like SIBO, and things like H-pylori (very common these days, unfortunately). It’s important to check the gut flora, as there is a huge connection with the gut microbiome, the brain and the immune system
4) Hydrate – Hydrate – Hydrate! Fresh, pure water is the best way to hydrate. SO IMPORTANT!
5) Cool off inflammation! Avoid acidic, inflammatory nutrient depleting beverages such as coffee and alcohol. I recommend drinking organic dandelion root tea, green or rooibos tea and probiotic-rich kombucha. There are many great natural, safe anti-inflammatories such as Hemp CBD Oil, BCM 95 Turmeric, Modified Citrus Pectin, Enzymes, Essential Fatty Acids and Medicinal Mushrooms.
6) Help balance hormones with liver supports, and botanicals such as Vitex and Maca.
7) Support your adrenals and your thyroid by avoiding sugar and refined foods, and chemicals such as Fluoride, and using botanicals such as ashwagandha or rhodiola. A great night’s rest is very important, as well as gentle exercise and “earthing” or “grounding”.
8) Restore and support digestion with probiotics, black seed oil, DGL, glutamine and more!
9) Enhance detox with botanicals such as cilantro, dandelion root and fiber, such as sprouted flax seed meal.
10) Support your stress response with adaptogenic herbs such as rhodiola, holy basil, Siberian Ginseng, cordyceps, ashwagandha, and black seed oil. Get good quality sleep by using CBD Oil, L-Theanine, valerian, GABA or melatonin.
11) Make sure to move your body – get out every day and take a walk, or swim or dance! I am a big proponent of “earthing” or “grounding” – I am passionate about people walking barefoot on the ground as much as possible!
12) Last, but not least – give yourself a big hug! Remember to love yourself every day! Women tend to nurture everyone else, and forget to take the time necessary to nurture and nourish themselves!
Thank you Dr. Dani for your wisdom and knowledge! These are helpful wellness tips and provide great advice as we aspire to live our best lives after 50!
Cheers to joy and wellness and to rocking 2019!
*Disclaimer. This information is general and not a prescription. Understanding that everyone’s needs are unique, the best way to make the right choices regarding your individual health and wellness is by working directly with a holistic practitioner or health care provider to learn what’s best for you.
Dani Segal, PhD (Certified Holistic Nutrition Educator/Counselor), HealthWorks and Healthy Thymes Market advocate a holistic approach to natural health & wellbeing. The body’s ability & power to heal depends upon the totality of diet, nutrition, lifestyle & environmental factors. No claims for the cure of any disease is intended, or implied. Always consult your health care practitioner when combating disease states. For more information about Dr. Dani, please visit her website at www.beforeyoutakeanotherbite.com
Subscribe below and receive a once-a-week update of the latest Cheers to Chapter Two post & a FREE printable download – 11 Powerfully Positive Midlife Affirmations!